Controlling your anger isn’t always easy. But here are some effective tips to help get your anger under control:
1. Take a ‘timeout.’ Although it may seem cliché, counting to 10 before reacting really can defuse your anger.
2. Get some space. Take a break from the person you’re angry with until your frustrations subside a bit.
3. Once you’re calm, express your anger. It’s healthy to express your frustration in a non-confrontational way. Stewing about it can make the situation worse.
4. Get some exercise. Physical activity can provide an outlet for your emotions, especially if you’re about to erupt. Go for a brisk walk or a run, swim, lift weights or shoot baskets.
5. Think carefully before you say anything. Otherwise, you’re likely to say something you’ll regret. It can be helpful to write down what you want to say so that you can stick to the issues. When you’re angry, it’s easy to get sidetracked.
6. Identify solutions to the situation. Instead of focusing on what made you mad, work with the person who angered you to resolve the issue at hand.
7. Use ‘I’ statements when describing the problem. This will help you to avoid criticizing or placing blames, which can make the other person angry or resentful — and increase tension. For instance, say, “I’m upset you didn’t help with the housework this evening,” instead of, “You should have helped with the housework.”
8. Don’t hold a grudge. If you can forgive the other person, it will help you both. It’s unrealistic to expect everyone to behave exactly as you want.
9. Use humor to release tensions. Lightening up can help diffuse tension. Don’t use sarcasm, though — it’s can hurt feelings and make things worse.
10. Practice relaxation skills. Learning skills to relax and de-stress can also help control your anger when it may flare up. Practice deep-breathing exercises, visualize a relaxing scene, or repeat a calming word or phrase to you, such as “Take it easy.”/”All is well.” Other proven ways to ease anger include listening to music, writing in a journal and doing yoga.
KEEP AT IT!!!
You may also like to read: